Saturday, April 21, 2012

Introducing : Studies in the Sermon on the Mount


While I've lacked some consistency in getting posts out (a post every couple months probably qualifies for that!), I've thought it time to get writing online with some regularity.  To help keep the iron in the fire, I'm enlisting the aid of Martyn Lloyd-Jones' Studies in the Sermon on the Mount.  Lord willing, over the coming weeks I'll be posting reflections on the book in a study-review format.  Each chapter is fairly short and easily managed in a day, making it a great book to enjoy like this.  If you're up to it, I'd invite you to join me in reading this gem by Lloyd-Jones.

Who was Martyn Lloyd-Jones?

I don't mean to write a whole biography here [Iain Murray has done this admirably in his two-volume work, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The First Forty Years (1899-1939) and D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: The Fight of Faith (1939-1981); I'm excited to get to reading them with my wife at some point in the near future.  Iain Murray knew Lloyd-Jones well and I have greatly benefited from his other histories and biography of Edwards], though I think it important to give an idea about the man who stands behind the exposition written down in Studies in the Sermon on the Mount.  David Martyn Lloyd-Jones, a Welshman, was trained as a physician prior to entering pastoral ministry.  He labored for decades as a champion of the style of preaching known as expository and held the standard for faithful, biblical pulpit ministry during a time when a great deal of compromise in evangelicalism was afoot in the name of cultural engagement.  His commitment to opening the Word to God's people helped set the table for men like John Piper and John MacArthur.  His stand for truth and biblical integrity during the adolescent years of the evangelical movement, while coming at a cost personally, stood as a guidepost for discerning Christians.  And, by the gracious gifting of God, he was arguably one of the greatest preachers of the twentieth century.

Why Studies in the Sermon on the Mount?

Let me begin by saying that to this point, I have greatly enjoyed most everything I've gotten to read or hear by Lloyd-Jones.  The man's concern to unfold the Word is refreshing to the soul.
I picked up Studies earlier this year and began reading it regularly the past few days.  In short, I need to be reading this book right now.  When I was first converted, I loved Matthew's Gospel.  Coming from a mainline Protestant background, the book resonated with me.  I had grown up with a "moralistic" view of the book, giving guidelines for right and wrong, yet lacking the right context - both personally, as an unregenerate person and biblically, as the book was divorced by liberalized "do-good" theology from the rest of the Scriptures.

Sadly, no passage of this Gospel is as abused on a consistent basis and used to justify some off-base understandings of the gospel and Christian living as chapters five through seven, the Sermon on the Mount.  Is it just a handbook for living peacefully in the world?  Are we really supposed to not "judge" others?  Is the Old Testament obsolete?  Does living the "moral principles" alone make one acceptable to God?  The answer to all of those questions is a clear no.  But why?  And why do many gravitate to these ideas and appeal to the Sermon on the Mount to justify them?  Looking at the Sermon rightly - which Lloyd-Jones helps us do - is critical to answer the frequent assaults on this precious passage of Scripture.

To be clear, while there is benefit in re-understanding a passage that, for many of us, has taken on a contorted shape because of a radically out of context understanding of it, there is much greater benefit in approaching this passage of Scripture in order to benefit from it proactively and hear the magnificent ethics belonging to the Kingdom of God spelled out for its citizens, those qualities and characteristics that are the contours for those who belong to Christ and have been justified through faith in Him.  As Lloyd-Jones suggests, "It is a perfect picture of the life of the kingdom of God."  These few chapters convey that picture in a clear, concise, albeit condensed way.  The Sermon on the Mount is certainly not the only passage of Scripture to camp out on, neither ought it be removed from its biblical context.  But held in context and opened up in exposition, what a sparkling jewel out of the treasure box of Scripture do we have here to consider!

Finally, on a personal level, I find that I am in great need of returning to this passage after years of detoxing from the moralistic Christianity of my youth.  I am eager to approach this passage and find the refreshment and nourishment which the Lord Jesus intended it to be.  And I am also eager to be challenged by this passage that confronts my selfishness and sin, by laying out a Kingdom ethic that I am completely unable to attain to except by the very power of the Spirit of Christ at work in me.  I long to be a more loving man, toward my children, my wife, my brothers and sisters in Christ, and, ultimately, toward God - who, to love more, sets the table for loving others rightly.  For these and many other reasons I am convinced that dialing up a sustained number of weeks on the Sermon is needed.  And I am joyfully looking forward to the growth in godliness that God, by His grace, is sure to work in this.

Lloyd-Jones' commitment was to expounding Scripture - unfolding it, opening it up, taking the people of God into the mines of the truth of God and bringing out riches of grace to serve them with.  This book, like all of his (I believe), is a compilation of sermons preached.  With him, "I am profoundly convinced that the greatest need of the Church today is a return to expository preaching."  It is because in such a way of preaching, the Bible is given to speak for itself, in all of its remarkable clarity, honoring the Author who is pleased to bless the faithful opening of what He has given to His people.  I would ask you to consider, friend, what a journey through this passage might net your soul.  Let us not dare to think that, after spending even a number of weeks thinking upon it, that we have mastered this passage.  Christ alone is the righteousness of His people.  It is to His image that we who rest in Him are being conformed, by His own sovereign grace.  But O, to grow in conformity to His likeness!

I am excited for the weeks ahead.  If you don't have a copy of the book, tag along for a while until you do.  Most importantly, read the Scripture addressed for each chapter.  I'll plan to write it out as a "header" for each post, as it is the real content being brought out in each section.  And I'll probably try to hit a few chapters a week (there are roughly 60 in all).  My hope is that we (or I, if no one else is along for the ride!-the writing helps me think, focus, and stay on task) "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."  Comments and questions (appropriate) are welcome.

To God Alone Be the Glory,
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment